Sunday, May 9, 2010

Inspiration Cloud 99!!

In a recent article in one of my favorite Stampington & Company magazines, Belle Armoire (Jan/Feb 2010 issue), I hit Inspiration Cloud 99!  The article included a photo named "Tattered Treasure Jacket" by Nancy Kaschmitter, that had been created from the artist's mother's curtains and linens!  I was amazed and immediately thought of what I could do with an old lace tablecloth that my Gran gave me years ago.  Made from machine lace found at a bargain (Naturally!), Gran had hemmed it and used it for a tablecloth, then later gifted it to me.  Problem was - my table was much too wide for it so it remained hidden in the linen drawer for ages.  Not so anymore!  I immediately pictured a lovely lace wrap and here are the results.  After folding the cloth in half, I cut out a place for the neck and front (which I covered in a pretty piece of lace to hide the seams).  I then went wild adding vintage and new buttons at the top and cream rick-rack to the hemline.  I deliberately moved the rick-rack inside the seam so that Gran's original hem stitching remained visible.  On the back, I added a vintage doily, embellished with beads, and a small strip of cream and yellow trimmed lace that also once belonged to Gran.  I'm not sure if I'll ever wear it, but I get such pure joy just looking at it, displayed permanently on one of my dress forms in my studio!



Many thanks to the folks at Stampington & Company, who bring such creative ideas to us all!

Till the next posting, may your days be filled with the joy of creativity and light.  Jan Fursdon, of Fursdon House

No comments:

Post a Comment